Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Yes – upgrade now: Installing Windows 10 is recommended because it’s faster, well built and more secure. Microsoft’s free upgrade offer for Windows 10 is ending soon: After July 29th 2016, this new operating system will cost over £80. Is my computer suitable for upgrade? If you are running the latest version […]
CryptoLocker is virus that encrypts your data files (word, powerpoint, pictures, music, videos, etc.). Your data is then held for ransom and try to extort money from you.
CryptoLocker tends to get in through phishing emails with attachments which fool you into opening them.
Although the virus is quite easy to clean, the encryption cannot be by-passed, and infected files can only be restored from backups. If you have no up-to-date backups you may be at risk.
This is likely to be the shape of things to come – Cryptolocker is the worst virus I have dealt with.
Crypotolocker infected a PC through an infected email attachment, and encrypted 25,000 of his photos, videos, word/excel documents, Zip files, PDFs etc.
We managed to restore from backups and get things working again, but if there’s one virus that keeps me awake at night, it’s Cryptolocker!
Windows XP Expires in April 2014, and after that date will become increasingly insecure.
If you are running XP you should act soon. What are your options?
In this post we look at four possibilities:
- Continue to use XP but Stop Connecting to the Internet
- Upgrade to Windows 7
- Buy a new PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8
- Install Ubuntu Linux and give my old PC a new lease of life
- The Dell Outlet sells computers which have been configured on-line by customers, then returned to Dell within a few days of purchase.
- Maybe the customer didn’t like the keyboard, or had specified the wrong component.
- Because it has been pre-configured to a particular customer’s specifications, Dell cannot resell it as “new”.
- So they knock about 40% off the new price and sell it as “Refurbished”.
- In fact these computers are pretty-much brand new, and can be quite a bargain!
- This post tells you where to go and what to look for…
By Peter Owen So you need to use an iso file, but can’t mount it with DAEMON Tools. Maybe you built your own PC case out of coconut rinds and spit, but forgot to include any USB or ethernet ports; or, more likely, you need to make a boot disc using your Windows 7 .iso. […]
By Peter Owen People often ask how to open iso files or how to extract iso files. The short answer is: you can’t. An .iso (named for the International Organization of Standards) file is an image file of an optical disc – essentially, rather than being an archive of the files on a CD or […]
Although you might have Google Chrome set up to open with Google, things can sometimes get changed without your realising: Check in Control Panel –> Add/Remove Programs (in Windows XP) or Programs and Features (in Vista and Windows 7) – look for any Toolbar installations and uninstall them. Toolbars can take over your browser and […]
How to use MS DaRT / ERD Commander Locksmith to Change Windows Administrator Passwords There are many ways to reset or change a lost Administrator or Windows Account passwords in Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. If you are unable to log on to a system because you have lost the local administrator password or because the […]
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. ~ Josh Billings I guess he was just trying to help…!