The latest versions of ERD Commander for Vista and Windows 7 are contained in The Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (MSDaRT ) which is part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP).
Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (MSDaRT ) 5.0 (for XP), 6.0 for Vista, and 6.5 for Windows 7 is a complete suite of powerful and versatile tools released by Microsoft (formerly Winternals) that allows you to repair unbootable or locked-out systems, restore lost data, and diagnose system and network issues while the system is safely offline.
In order to obtain the latest versions of ERD Commander, you need access to Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) which contains MSDaRT.
- See also Download ERD Commander for Vista and Windows 7 through Microsoft TechNet Subscription
- See also Free ERD Commander Download for Windows XP Download a 30 day trial & extend the time limit
- See also Using ERD Commander for Windows XP - boot your computer with ERD Commander
- See also Create an ERD Commander Bootable USB Flash Drive
- See also Free Download Windows 7 ISO – Create a Windows 7 Installation DVD or USB Flash Drive
- See also Free Download Hirens Boot CD ISO – ERD Commander Alternative – Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive
ERD Commander is a very powerful tool. It comes in the form of an ISO file which is burned to a CD which is a diagnostic and recovery boot disk for Windows 7 and Vista.
Unfortunately, although ERD60 and ERD65 for Vista and Windows 7 for 32bit and 64 bit systems exist, Microsoft has not released any retail or trial download versions:
- ERD50 2005/2007 for Win 2K, XP, Server 2003 – x86 Click for 30 Day Trial and FREE version!
ERD Commander 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012:
- ERD60 x86 for Vista 32 bit (no trial or retail version)
- ERD60 x64 for Vista 64 bit (no trial or retail version)
- ERD65 x86 for Windows 7 32 bit (no trial or retail version)
- ERD65 x64 for Windows 7 64 bit (no trial or retail version)
If you search Google for Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset MSDaRT the top two links take you to Microsoft, but most of the rest of the links are to torrent sites for illegal downloads of ERD Commander Torrents:
Downloading from non-legal (such as below) sites is not recommended
Using ERD Commander 2010 for Vista and Windows 7
Instructional Videos from Microsoft for using the Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (MsDaRT)
- Part 1: DaRT Overview - ERD Commander Windows 7 ISO
- Part 2: Creating Boot Media
- Part 3: Starting the DaRT - ERD Commander Boot Media Wizard
- Part 4: Resetting Passwords - ERD Commander admin password – reset or change password
- Part 5: Analyzing Crash Dumps
- Part 6: Disabling Device Drivers
- Part 7: Recovering Files
Using ERD50 (ERD Commander 2007 – XP version) With Vista and Windows 7
You can perform some tasks using ERD50 on Vista and Windows 7 systems
With 32Bit systems you should be able to attach to the installation, and use Locksmith (to reset Windows passwords) and use Windows Explorer to move files onto a USB memory key or external hard drive (see here). However attaching to Vista or Windows 7 installations wipes out any System Restore points, so this should be done with caution.
When under partial functionality these features do NOT work:
- Computer Management
- Hotfix Uninstall
- SFC Scan
- PC Backup Restore
- System Restore
- Crash Analyzer
- TCP/IP Config
- Services and Drivers (ERD50 only)
When under partial functionality these features DO generally work (no guarantees though):
- Memory Diagnostic
- Command Prompt
- Registry Editor
- File Restore
- Disk Commander
- Disk Wipe
- Windows Explorer
- File Search
- Standalone System Sweeper
- Autoruns (ERD50 only)
- File Sharing (ERD50 only)
With 64bit Windows 7 and Vista systems it will not be possible to attach to the installation, but it should still be possible to boot your PC or laptop by not attaching to the installation. You can then use Windows Explorer for Data Recovery – to move files onto a USB memory key or external hard drive, (see here) but none of the other ERD Commander tools will work.
Starting a computer with the ERD Commander for Vista or Windows 7