Free Wndows 7 Operating System download – Create a Windows 7 Installation DVD or Windows 7 USB Flash Drive to Reinstall Windows 7 Pro or Home Premium on your Netbook, Laptop or PC
No Optical Drive, No Windows 7 DVD – How to install Windows 7?
Netbooks and Ultra-portable laptops don’t come with Optical Drives, so if you need to reinstall Windows 7 you are expected to do this from a recovery partition on the hard drive.
Many laptops and desktop PCs don’t come with a Windows 7 installation DVD – instead the manufacturer allows you to create a recovery disk – so that you can restore the operating system and pre-installed software applications in the even that your system becomes unstable or corrupted.
But many things can happen – your hard drive fails, you lose the DVD, you forget to make a system recovery DVD, and you need to perform a clean install of Windows 7 – or you might be looking for a Windows 7 Repair Disk download
This article shows you how to obtain a Windows 7 installation disk download from an official source and make your own Windows 7 Installation DVD or USB key / flash drive with which you can install your version of Windows 7.
- See also MS DaRT 10 / ERD Commander 2015 for Windows 10 ***NEW***
- See also ERD Commander for Vista and Windows 7
- See also Download ERD Commander for Vista and Windows 7
- See also Free ERD Commander Download for Windows XP Download a 30 day trial & extend the time limit
- See also Using ERD Commander for Windows XP – boot your computer with ERD Commander
- See also Create an ERD Commander Bootable USB Flash Drive
- See also Free Download Hirens Boot CD ISO – ERD Commander Alternative – Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive
- see also Create a Universal Microsoft Windows Installation DVD / USB (all versions of Windows 7 on one DVD USB flash drive)
1. Free Download Windows 7 ISO files
- If you have your product key, you can download your Windows 7 ISO file from Microsoft Software Recovery.
- This will not work with OEM keys (such as come pre-installed on Dell PCs etc)
Downloads from Digital River mirror (no product key needed)
- It used to be possible to download the Windows 7 ISO files direct from DigitalRiver – Microsoft’s online supplier, however, links to these ISOs have been removed.
- The German mirror mirror.corenoc.de has gathered the Digital River ISOs and uploaded them as torrent files. languages. PCSteps.com gives some advice for downloading them as torrent files
Other Downloads from Microsoft
- You can download ISOs for Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 from Microsoft Software Recovery.
- A web browser tweak allows you to download any edition of Windows 8.1 and 10, as well as Office 2013 and 2016 direct from Microsoft Tech Bench
- Earlier versions of Office https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/office
- A full list of the downloads available from Microsoft Techbench is here
- Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool is a standalone for downloading the Techbench ISOs. Download the tool here
2. Use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
- to create a 4gb Windows 7 Bootable USB flash drive, which you can then use to install Windows 7 from USB drive on your netbook, laptop or PC
- to burn the Windows 7 ISO file to DVD which you can then use to install Windows 7 from an optical drive
Additional Notes and Tips:
- To boot from a Windows 7 install disk – booting from usb or DVD – see this Microsoft Guide: Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation DVD or Windows 7 USB flash drive
- You will need a valid product key for the version of Windows 7 you want to install.
- The product key sticker is located on the underside of a laptop or netbook (sometimes underneath the battery) or the casing of a desktop PC.
- If you get “A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing” error try this solution
- Tip: take a photo of your product key sticker when your computer is new – the sticker is not as robust as the Windows XP stickers used to be and can fade or get damaged.
- If you need to recover your existing product key from a functioning Windows 7 System use the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder or Produkey
- To recover your existing key from a broken Windows 7 System refer to this article: How to Recover Windows and Software Keys from a Broken Computer
- To back-up your drivers from a functioning Windows system use Double Driver – Download Double Driver here
- You can also use Double Driver to Backup drivers from non-live/non-booting Windows system (connecting the non-booting hard disk using a usb hard drive adapter)
- You can also refer to this article on how to burn ISO images to a DVD or use isorecorder or imgburn
- Create a Universal Windows 7 Installation DVD or USB Pen Drive All versions – for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7 installations
- Create your own x86 and x64 All in one Windows 7 ISO – All Versions – 32bit and 64bit on the same DVD or USB Memory Key
- If you currently have an OEM activation (a factory installed Windows 7), then the easiest way to reactivate is to use this program to backup the activation before clean-installing and to restore the activation after clean-installing. This way, you will not have to use the product key from the sticker on case of your laptop or PC, and you will not have to call Microsoft to activate windows.
- Advanced Tokens Manager will create a complete backup of your Windows and Office 2010 activation, so that you can restore them when you re-install your system. Microsoft imposes a limit of activations for each license online, using the program, you can activate offline number of times you want. Download Advanced Tokens Manager here
- Windows 7 Product Key Checker: will enable you to check a Product Key – for example to tell if your key is for Windows 7 Pro or Home Premium – details here