Free Wndows 7 Operating System download – Create a Windows 7 Installation DVD or Windows 7 USB Flash Drive to Reinstall Windows 7 Pro or Home Premium on your Netbook, Laptop or PC
No Optical Drive, No Windows 7 DVD – How to install Windows 7?
Netbooks and Ultra-portable laptops don’t come with Optical Drives, so if you need to reinstall Windows 7 you are expected to do this from a recovery partition on the hard drive.
Many laptops and desktop PCs don’t come with a Windows 7 installation DVD – instead the manufacturer allows you to create a recovery disk – so that you can restore the operating system and pre-installed software applications in the even that your system becomes unstable or corrupted.
But many things can happen – your hard drive fails, you lose the DVD, you forget to make a system recovery DVD, and you need to perform a clean install of Windows 7 – or you might be looking for a Windows 7 Repair Disk download
This article shows you how to obtain a Windows 7 installation disk download from an official source and make your own Windows 7 Installation DVD or USB key / flash drive with which you can install your version of Windows 7.
1. Free Download Windows 7 ISO files from Microsoft
It used to be possible to download the Windows 7 ISO files direct from DigitalRiver – Microsoft’s online supplier, without a product key.
You can still download your ISO file, but you now need your product key
Go to Microsoft Software Recovery to download your ISO file
see also Create a Universal Microsoft Windows Installation DVD / USB (all versions of Windows 7 on one DVD USB flash drive)
2. Use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool here
- to create a 4gb Windows 7 Bootable USB flash drive, which you can then use to install Windows 7 from USB drive on your netbook, laptop or PC
- to burn the Windows 7 ISO file to DVD which you can then use to install Windows 7 from an optical drive
Additional Notes and Tips:
- To boot from a Windows 7 install disk – booting from usb or DVD - see this Microsoft Guide: Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation DVD or Windows 7 USB flash drive
- You will need a valid product key for the version of Windows 7 you want to install.
- If you don’t have a Windows 7 Key you can buy one from Microsoft
- The product key sticker is located on the underside of a laptop or netbook (sometimes underneath the battery) or the casing of a desktop PC.
- Tip: take a photo of your product key sticker when your computer is new – the sticker is not as robust as the Windows XP stickers used to be and can fade or get damaged.
- If you need to recover your existing product key from a functioning Windows 7 System use the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder
- To recover your existing key from a broken Windows 7 System refer to this article: How to Recover Windows and Software Keys from a Broken Computer
- To back-up your drivers from a functioning Windows system use Double Driver – Download Double Driver here
- You can also use Double Driver to Backup drivers from non-live/non-booting Windows system (connecting the non-booting hard disk using a usb hard drive adapter)
- You can also refer to this article on how to burn ISO images to a DVD or use isorecorder or imgburn
- Create a Universal Windows 7 Installation DVD or USB Pen Drive All versions – for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7 installations
- Create your own x86 and x64 All in one Windows 7 ISO - All Versions – 32bit and 64bit on the same DVD or USB Memory Key
- If you currently have an OEM activation (a factory installed Windows 7), then the easiest way to reactivate is to use this program to backup the activation before clean-installing and to restore the activation after clean-installing. This way, you will not have to use the product key from the sticker on case of your laptop or PC, and you will not have to call microsoft to activate windows.
- Advanced Tokens Manager will create a complete backup of your Windows and Office 2010 activation, so that you can restore them when you re-install your system. Microsoft imposes a limit of activations for each license online, using the program, you can activate offline number of times you want. Download Advanced Tokens Manager here
- Windows 7 Product Key Checker: download here will enable you to check a Product Key – for example to tell if your key is for Windows 7 Pro or Home Premium – details here
- Digital River is Microsoft’s official download distributor. These ISOs were put there to be freely available for customers who purchase copies of Windows7 online, as Lifehacker puts it, but if you have a legit product key there is no reason you can’t use the ISOs to make your own Windows install disc.