We can use ERD Commander to recover from this problem…
- Windows XP appears to be booting up as normal.
- You try and log in as one of the users on the welcome screen
- It displays “loading personal settings”
- Suddenly it will log off and display” Saving settings”
- You try other boot options using F8 – “Last good configuration” gives the same result
- Booting into Safe Mode gives the same result
- This means that “System Restore” is inaccessible
- Create an ERD Commander disk using the instructions here: http://calmit.org/free-erd-commander-2007/
- Boot from the ERD Commander disk (it maybe necessary to change the boot order, so that the system boots from the CD Drive rather than the hard drive)
- Select the installation you wish to attach to (i.e. to repair)
- When your system boots from ERD Commander, go to Start –> System Tools –> System Restore and choose a restore point which corresponds to a date when your system was booting normally
- This Article covers using System Restore with ERD Commander 2007
- Once you have successfully performed a System Restore your system should boot normally.
- Remove the ERD Commander CD
- Reset the Boot Order to what it was before you changed it.
- Boot your system.
- Since the Logoff-Logon problem can be caused by Malware, Viruses or Trojans, update and run your virus scanner
- I would recommend downloading and running the free version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware